Just a few thoughts

I also have a Twitter (@wyllowlylly). Suggestions are always welcome :) Thanks for visiting, subscribe if you like what you see!

Monday, February 18, 2013

Fox "News" Pagan/Wiccan Hate

As some, or maybe all, of you know, Fox aired a rather disturbing segment about Pagans and Wiccans.


I really wasn't all that surprised to see this from Fox, but the fact that it was aired on a news station (or at least a station that considers itself "news") is appalling to me. This was a gross misrepresentation of Wiccans and Pagans, and I think they should be ashamed for reporting on something they know nothing about. If, after watching the video, you're interested in signing a petition, there is one going HERE for an apology, etc.

I wanted to take a moment to share why this has gotten under my skin so much, since things like this  normally do not bother me. I won't go into the crazy stereotyping from the video...

First of all, I live in a very conservative, Christian, rural area. Most of the people around here watch Fox religiously and take what they hear/see there very seriously. It's not entirely safe for someone who is not a Christian to be open about their beliefs. Sure, they may not be chased down the street by people toting pitch forks and torches (or at least that's unlikely), but they could have their tires slashed, break lines cut, be beaten up, lose their job, or any number of other bad things.

But, the people here are very, very patriotic and become enraged very easily if those in the military are mistreated or discriminated against in any way. Those things can easily override any prejudices they hold towards other religions, sexualities, etc. They may not like that you're a Pagan, or gay, but they go nuts if they hear about a soldier being discriminated against for reasons such as those.

This thing with Fox has brought up Pagans in the military (I have no idea how) and people seem to be looking at it in a new light. I'm not saying they all are, but people that I personally know (and never expected to not agree with Fox) have become enraged by this Fox segment. They've put aside their hatred for other religions for a change because for some reason they're seeing this anti-Pagan mentality in a new light. I'm not sure if it's entirely because of the military Pagans out there, or if it's because they finally see how freedom of religion mean any religion, but I'm thankful for the change.

It takes baby steps to achieve change, and this seems to be just one of many for equality for Pagans. We are a minority, but we don't deserve to be ridiculed, bullied, beaten, etc. just because of our religious an spiritual beliefs. Somehow, it seems that this video is actually aiding Pagans because so many non-Pagans are voicing  their opinion about it. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there pissed off because there's a petition against Fox, who think Fox was right  about us, etc. But there are also a lot of people out there showing support.

Yes, Fox was out of line, but because of the public outcry over this video, some people are actually learning how inaccurate these misconceptions and stereotypes are, which is good for us. The more educated people are about Paganism and Witchcraft, the more accepted we'll be. It's going to take time, but I think this is  definitely a step in the right direction for tolerance and understanding, even if Fox does not apologize (does anyone really expect them to?) and correct their mistakes.

1 comment:

  1. Well, we can expect this from FOX. My concern is increasing as I continue to read sister Witches blog's who are forced to live in the broom closet and I can not imagine my life like that. My best friend happens to be a hard cord Christian, well, in her family they call her a Communist Christian. So, she's not like most right wing Christian. I guess that would make her a Left wing Christian, lol. I wish you safety, peace and strength to continue on you chosen path.

    ReplyDelete