Just a few thoughts

I also have a Twitter (@wyllowlylly). Suggestions are always welcome :) Thanks for visiting, subscribe if you like what you see!

Saturday, March 17, 2012

On Being a Pagan Witch and Part of the Gothic Subculture

Hmm... I am by no means the picture perfect example of either. But really, who is? Everyone is different, that's part of the beauty of being human, we all have our individual tastes, interests, etc.

This has been on my mind a lot recently, but I haven't really had time to sit down and blog because of various family things, but hopefully that's changing now and I'll be back to blogging at least a couple times a week. With that said, I'm going to jump right in to this and my thoughts, sorry if I ramble or don't make sense, but feel free to ask questions or comment on something and I'll try to clarify anything that didn't make sense.

First of all, I do not know any other Goths in "real life." I also do not know any other Pagans or Witches in "real life." Well, that's not entirely true, but I live about 350 miles from the one that  I do know and I haven't seen her in about 7 years. We do talk from time to time, though. So, most of my contact with other Goths and Pagans/Witches is online.

As for the Goths I know online, I haven't had a single one tell me I'm less of a Goth because of my religion. Within the Gothic sub-culture, there is no established religion, so why should they, really? However, I have encountered other Pagans and Witches who have told me I'm less of a  Pagan or Witch because I'm a Goth. Perhaps this is because they've only had personal encounters with "pretend Goths..." The type of people who dress in all black, do seriously weird makeup, walk around blaring Marilyn Manson, and try to scare people, etc.

Ok, that is not Goth. Trying to scare people and act like you're the biggest badass on the planet is not Goth. Usually  those people are younger, teens, who think they know what being Goth is all about, but they really don't.Those are the people who give Goths a bad reputation and make people believe we're all like that and we're evil, blah blah blah. NO!

There are also those Pagans/Witches who say that "embracing the darker parts of life/finding beauty in the darker things" can not possibly be Pagans/Witches because it's all about balance. Ok, how do those two things NOT go well together? Embracing the darker side of things/finding the beauty in them does not mean you're focusing solely on them! It just means that you see the benefit of BOTH the lighter side and the darker side. In my opinion, that fits in pretty well with Pagan beliefs as well as with Witchcraft.

People seem to get hung up on absolute basic descriptions about things, and instead of learning more, they immediately shun them. Isn't that what a lot of people do when they hear about Witches, Pagans, etc.? And don't Witches/Pagans complain about people being close minded and not taking the time to learn about things before judging them based on what Hollywood and the like have said? So why in the world do they (Pagans/Witches) do the same thing? Because it's human nature.

I think I'm going to stop this blog now because it's getting long, but I will definitely be posting more on this subject later. Possible series? We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment