Just a few thoughts

I also have a Twitter (@wyllowlylly). Suggestions are always welcome :) Thanks for visiting, subscribe if you like what you see!

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Witch, NOT Wiccan

I want to start by saying that I have NOTHING against Wicca or Wiccans, before someone jumps on the title of this post and thinks I'm bashing Wicca/Wiccans. I'm NOT!

Wicca is one "branch" of Paganism. If you don't know what Wicca is, there are countless resources to learn about it, this isn't a post to tell you what Wicca is (actually I think I did a post similar to that a while back). Within Wicca, there are certain beliefs that are held by most practitioners, just like within Christianity or any other "formal" religion. Sure there are Eclectics, Gardnerians, Alexandrians, Seax, Dianics, and tons of other forms of Wicca, but that's not the point. One key belief in Wicca is from the Rede, "An it harm none, do what ye will," (which depending on where you read the Rede may vary in the exact wording). Now I'm all for not doing harm to others intentionally, for no good reason. I'm not going to sit down and think up curses/hexes/etc. for every person I've ever disliked or something. However, I am NOT a Wiccan. I believe that there are situations where "bringing in the big guns" is necessary and that you could and should do whatever it takes to protect yourself and your family.


I do believe in karma, but I think that karma is unbiased, just, etc. I don't think that if someone is trying to pin me down and hurt me and I kick the shit out of them, that sometime down the line I'm going to have a karmic bitchslap for defending myself.Likewise, I don't think that putting forth any protective measures necessary to ensure my safety and well-being, as well as that of my family, is going to lead to me suffering. If someone tried to hurt my family, or me, or anyone else I care deeply for, they're going to regret it. I am not afraid to hex or curse if I've tried other things with no luck. I am a Witch, I do not follow the "rules" of the Wiccan religion. I follow my own moral compass with things. I'm not saying that if someone called my daughter a name that I would curse them. Sure that might be emotionally difficult for her, but more than likely I would just do something to help her not be hurt when people do things like that. Now, if someone started stalking her I would go to more drastic measures. I would never START with a hex or curse, but if it came to that, I wouldn't hesitate (except to make sure that was what I wanted to do, and prepare). I'm willing to deal with any repercussions for my actions.


This is another thing I've been attacked for in the past. I really don't care, you do your thing and I'll do mine. But it's usually people assuming (there's that word again) that all Witches are Wiccan, all Pagans are Witches and Wiccans, etc. We're not! And we don't ALL share the same beliefs about things. If you think curses and hexes and the like are wrong, great! Don't do them! If you don't think they're wrong, that's great, too! Follow YOUR heart and YOUR intuition, not what others say or do.

4 comments:

  1. Exactly! I hate when some start to take on the role of Fundamentalist and try to force their beliefs on you. Especially the 'Harm None' clause and assuming that all Witches and Pagans follow that rede. Annoys the crap out of me. Had one lady say that I wasn't a real Witch because I didn't follow the rede. ::facepalm:: If you're Wiccan and follow the rede to a T, that's cool. More power to ya, just don't expect me to. ~)O(~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean. I don't go 'round looking for someone to hurt. But, if you hurt with me or mine, you will get some of your karma back on you PDQ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right on that one. I put spells on my hme for protection, and nasty things for people trying to harm those inside. There is a jar with chili peppers and lemons and rocks by the front door, and I know it creeps out our neighbors, but it has helped keep us safe and happy. The fluffy bunny "Be nice, and eventually the others will be nice, too" approach has never worked for me, or anyone in my family. When my older sister was in first grade, she was picked on and pushed around by a fourth grade bully because she was chubby, and all adults laughed it off and told her to try and befriend that guy. She came home crying every day during her first week, and at the beginning of the second week our father told her to grab a stick and defend herself (against a kid roughly twice her size). She did, and came home laughing that day, and has never been bullied again in her whole life. That's the family spirit. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again, I can't really agree more. :)

    ReplyDelete