Just a few thoughts

I also have a Twitter (@wyllowlylly). Suggestions are always welcome :) Thanks for visiting, subscribe if you like what you see!

Thursday, October 27, 2011

If you ask for my advice, I'm going to give it to you

I've had people ask me for advice that's related to something Pagan or Witchy and then turn around and go off on me because I wasn't quoting a Wicca 101 book to them. Really? You just picked up a copy of a Cunningham book for the first time a week ago and you think you already have your own path forged and know EVERYTHING? I know that time and experience are two totally different things. You can hold Pagan beliefs for your entire life and still not know as much as someone who has experienced more. But really? Someone asks for my help with something they've never encountered before, but I have, and then they say that I'm doing it wrong? I don't care if someone likes my advice, or takes it and uses it, etc., but if you ASK ME to HELP YOU and then get mad because I'm not pulling stuff out of a book, that's ridiculous in my opinion. 

This goes back to books vs. experience. You can read 500 Pagan/Witchy books but it doesn't compare to actual experience. Why do I think I know this? Because I read about 50 books or more over the course of almost 10 years before I experienced much of anything. I didn't read one book, or one blog, etc. and decide I was a Witch and I was ready to start casting spells left and right. I did a few small rituals during that time, but not much more. When I finally DID trust myself to be ready for spells, they worked and I felt confident. After casting spells and doing all sorts of other "Witchy" stuff for a few years, I felt that I had learned 10 times more than what I learned from reading books.

So if you think you're ready to deal with everything after reading one book, more power to you, but I personally don't feel that it's enough to learn all you need to know. So if you come to me for advice and I say try "this" or "that," and you haven't read it in your one Pagan/Wiccan/Witchcraft book, that's probably because I've tried several different methods and found a way that works for ME and that's what I'm recommending. That doesn't mean I'm wrong, it just means that I've been doing this for a while and I've created my own methods. I suggest you do the same thing. Books are wonderful, but from my personal experience and what I've heard from other Pagans and Witches, things that other people have written are less likely to work as well for you as something you created yourself. You don't have to do it my way, you don't have to do it the way a book tells you (or anyone else). But I encourage everyone to try different things to find what works for them.

3 comments:

  1. I know I've not gotten to read as many of your blogs as I'd like, but I read this and went, "Can I get an AMEN???" :P

    Seriously, I agree with you. I feel I am far less experienced, but the circumstances you describe happen far too often, in my opinion.

    Thanks for putting yourself out there, so people *can* come to you, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, there's a clear difference between book smarts and street smarts. It's cool to have read so many books and do good on test, but if you can't go out into the real world and apply said knowledge, it's no good.

    I always try to stress to people that what works for some may not work for others.

    PS, I <3 your blog! ~)O(~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you! I try to be available to help people as much as possible. My family and friends criticize me for it because I really put myself out there TOO much sometimes, but I can't seem to put myself first. That's one reason I started this blog. I think it's important for people to shake themselves of the "sheep mentality" and think for themselves, and I hope that something I say will spark some creativity and individuality or something in the people who read it. I also hope that with some of the things I put out there, someone will be helped by it, either by knowing they're not alone, or something.

    ReplyDelete