Just a few thoughts

I also have a Twitter (@wyllowlylly). Suggestions are always welcome :) Thanks for visiting, subscribe if you like what you see!

Friday, October 28, 2011

Back to Basics

There's a reason for the Wiccan "Year and a Day" schedule of learning. It's not that you can learn everything in one year and one day, but it's a set time frame of study to help those who follow it ease into things and make sure that they really know the basics before moving on.

I've ranted to friends before about there being so many Wicca/Witchcraft 101 books, and how boring it is to constantly read the description of an athame, or the purpose of circle casting, etc. But there's a hell of a lot more to the basics than just knowing what tools are used for what purpose (some of us don't even really use tools). I've been re-reading Book of Witchery by Ellen Dugan (see my Books page for link and info, and other books) and I have to agree with something I was reading last night. Too many of us don't really take the time to learn basic correspondences, to have them stored away in our memory instead of constantly flipping through books looking for them. I don't think that for every Witch it's necessary to know all the basic correspondences, but it's definitely handy to at least know by heart the ones you will use frequently.

Daily correspondences goes beyond just planets and the best spells to work each day. There are stones, metals, flowers, plants, Deities, tarot cards and more. I've been guilty of not really memorizing correspondences myself and I could definitely stand to know more by heart. So, for the next few weeks I think I'm going to do daily posts about correspondences. Maybe 2-3 a day or so. I'll still be doing blogs as well, but I think this is something important that isn't stressed enough in some 101 books. Sure, the info is there, but isn't it easier to know, without flipping through a book, some basic correspondences you might  need for a spell? I think so, so this "Correspondences" segment is for me as well as for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment