Just a few thoughts

I also have a Twitter (@wyllowlylly). Suggestions are always welcome :) Thanks for visiting, subscribe if you like what you see!

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Menstruation: It May Not Be a Curse After All

Female Witches: How many times have you cursed your monthly visit? How many times have you thought of it as a blessing, rather than a curse (and not because it means you aren't pregnant or something lol)?

For YEARS I thought of it as a curse. The pain, the bloating, the fatigue, the nausea, the mood swings, etc. My periods have always been rough. In fact, I went through 70ish hours of natural labor and since then have wished my period pains were more like my labor pains because they're so much worse than labor was for me. I've passed out from the pain before, to sum it up, and pain doesn't bother me usually. I've broken bones and laughed, I cut myself for years, you get the point (sorry I'm rambling a bit, I had a ton of coffee and I'm wired).

For the past few months, though, I've noticed something about my menses and ovulation. My greatest moments of inspiration for rituals (which I rarely perform), spells, meditations, and other things that have gone into my BOS came during those two times in the month. Also, my psychic abilities are more pronounced than at any other time. Tarot readings are more accurate, intuition is heightened and more accurate, and my desire to learn and create things for my BOS and other things are at their peaks.

Maybe this has to do with the moon phases (still looking into that), and maybe it's part of the blood mysteries which have fallen into myth and disuse over time. Who knows for sure? All I know is that I've begun keeping track of when I menstruate and when I ovulate in my Witches Date Book and my almanac and I'm going to try to find a pattern with moon phases and the like. I encourage you to do the same, if you don't already. Not only does this help you keep track of exactly when you menstruate, it may also shed some light on other things, like your patterns with the Craft. Keep track for a couple of months and see what you come up with. Pay attention to how you feel during those times (no, I don't mean the bloating and all that, I mean psychically and the like). Do your senses seem heightened? Do they seem less obvious? 

Knowing when your times of peak performance are can help you in your practice and study. Find them and use them to your advantage. If you find, as I did, that your peaks seem to coincide with your monthly cycle, focus on that instead of the cramping and other irritating PMS symptoms and meditate on things. Stop cursing it and turn it into something positive.

2 comments:

  1. Did you know if you are exposed to enough moonlight, you will ovulate during the full moon? Yep. Leftover from the days our ancestors slept outside. I do try and shift my perception a bit and send thanks to the Goddess every time I have a healthy, natural period, or feel an ovulation pain. And I agree, some of my best creativity flows about the time my moon blood appears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You absolutely must read "The Wise Wound" by Shuttle/Redgrove! It address what you're talking about here and much much more. it seriously is a life changing look at menstruation! http://www.amazon.com/Wise-Wound-Menstruation-Everywoman/dp/0714530557

    ReplyDelete