Just a few thoughts

I also have a Twitter (@wyllowlylly). Suggestions are always welcome :) Thanks for visiting, subscribe if you like what you see!

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

I Will NOT Celebrate the Loss of a Life

I'm sure that at least most of you have heard about the death of Osama Bin Laden.

There has been quite a bit of celebrating going on because of this event, but I am not amongst those who are partying. I do not feel that it is right to rejoice in the killing of anyone, regardless of how hated and "evil" they might have been. Once upon a time, that person was someone's son, someone's lover, etc. He was a person. Would you be celebrating if it was your son, daughter, father, mother, lover, spouse, sister, brother, etc.? I am in no way defending him, because what he was behind was heinous, but that doesn't mean that I have to celebrate because he will not be seeing another day in this life. I am happy that he will not be able to do any more harm, yes, but that doesn't mean that I will be celebrating. I understand, in a way, why people are rejoicing, but it isn't for me and I fear that it may lead to more loss, particularly by Bin Laden supporters. You can hate me or call me un-Patriotic/American if you wish, I really don't care because that's your opinion. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but I know that some do.

I've seen a quote floating around (I'm not sure of the author) that sums up my feelings quite well, "I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that."

1 comment:

  1. I am right there with you, that quote was my FB status yesterday. A Christian friend said the same thing and said, "I can't help but think about all the GOOD he may have been capable of, after all he was an intelligent man"

    ReplyDelete