Just a few thoughts

I also have a Twitter (@wyllowlylly). Suggestions are always welcome :) Thanks for visiting, subscribe if you like what you see!

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

"Fluffy Bunnies"

Ok, this is something that has pissed me off for a while, so I'm going to rant about it. 

First of all, I do not like the term at all. I think it's rude, judgmental, hateful, childish, etc. when used the way it normally is (to describe younger, or newer Witches who don't start their practice by reading Gardner, the Farrars, etc., or to describe someone who doesn't do things the way others think they should). Just because someone likes certain books or doesn't do things the way you like does not mean that they aren't serious about their path/religion/faith/practice, whatever you want to call it.

Everyone has to start somewhere and I guarantee that if you stick 10 Witches together, they will ALL have their own unique way of doing things, even if some things are very similar or even nearly identical. There will still be SOME difference in the way they think or do things.

And for those who bitch about authors like Silver Ravenwolf, have you ever stopped to think that some people just enjoy her style of writing, or maybe those were the only books they could get their hands on to begin their quest? Not everyone enjoys reading the Farrar's or Buckland's work. Quite frankly, I know quite a few Witches who find them very dry, boring, and not very relevant to their own paths (myself included). Are their books useful for some things? Sure, they can be. Are they the ONLY sources for information? No. In case you haven't noticed because you were too busy passing judgment, pretty much all intro to Witchcraft books say the same thing in different words. Compare them sometime.

If I were to use the term "fluffy bunny," I would use it to describe those who ONLY seek out ONE source for their information, never use any of their own material, and just go through the motions and never actually take things seriously. I would not even call those who "get into" Witchcraft for the shock value "fluffy bunnies," because they aren't even trying to commit to it, usually, and it's really just a phase or experiment, and sometimes, it turns into something real. Have you met a "Christian" that claimed the title, went to church, read their Bible, etc., but they had no real faith or conviction? Translate that into a "Witch" and you have what I would define as a "fluffy bunny." I still hate the term and I don't use it, but if someone had a gun to my head and told me to define the term, that's what I would say.


And for those of you who use the term regularly and then also bitch about Christians or whoever being judgmental, you really need to take a look in the mirror because you're doing the same thing.


Seriously, grow up and stop the name calling already. If you meet someone or talk about someone that you would like to call a "fluffy bunny," think before you speak. Is it really that hard to just smile or nod and just walk away from the situation?

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I have always hated that term. I am a big fan of Silver Ravenwolf, so more than once the term has been aimed at me even. I believe Paganism, even Wicca, is about following your heart over any religious dogma. Our hearts are all different, and so are our paths. Just because one follows a different path than ours doesn't mean they are less of a Pagan.

    ReplyDelete