Just a few thoughts

I also have a Twitter (@wyllowlylly). Suggestions are always welcome :) Thanks for visiting, subscribe if you like what you see!

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Be Your OWN Damn Witch!

Yes, this is a mini-rant.
I am SO sick of seeing Witches post their spells or rituals or talk about them and they're almost carbon copies of something from a book or other source. Seriously? You can't create your own spells, rituals, chants, etc.? There's someone on YouTube, fairly popular I think, that has done so many videos on things from other people and not given credit. If you are going to use work by someone else, at least give them credit for it. I know, I know, we're all human and make mistakes, yadda yadda. Hell, I'm sure that at some point I've probably done it while talking or something, but I try to remember where things came from and give credit where it's due. 

I personally don't use spells of others, but I use them as jumping off points for my own when I need ideas sometimes. I think that's great when you hit a block mentally, but is it really necessary to copy something in it's entirety? I'm not talking about things like stones, crystals, colors, moon phases, etc. because that stuff is everywhere. I still think that if you copy it, you need to give credit, but that stuff isn't really original now that everyone and his dog has it.

Basically, just come up with some of your own freaking ideas for things! Books are great, videos are great, the internet is great, but use that thing inside your skull every now and then, geez.

3 comments:

  1. Right there with you! My stubborn-ness is set off anytime I hear or read "this is what you SHOULD do" Nope. If it's authentic and REAL, it will come from within me. No one tells me what the "right" way is to worship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why I have a strict policy that I never give out spells.. that and the other reason is that if you have to ask for help on a spell you probably shouldn't be doing it anyway...and yes people should state their sources!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about not giving out spells and the like, but I do have to disagree about asking for help. I think everyone has mental blocks sometimes, even if you've been practicing for 50 years. Sometimes just asking for help breaks it (I've been there, asked for help and the idea suddenly came to me), or talking to someone about it will help, etc. Just my opinion, though.

    ReplyDelete